Man discovers used KFC glove in his large chips from Kwinina KFC in Western Australia
A hawk-eyed KFC shopper was shocked to discover one of the fast-food chain’s secret ingredients and claimed she thought the substance was banned.
The New Zealand woman shared a picture of a condiment pack that read, “COLONEL SANDERS’ RECIPE Kentucky Fried Chicken Seasoning.”
The label reveals that the ingredients contain more than just the chain’s famous “secret herbs and spices,” including the controversial salt MSG (monosodium glutamate).
The eagle-eyed KFC customer posted a picture of a condiment pack from the fast-food chain, showing MSG (monosodium glutamate) was one of the ingredients in his chicken
Colonel Harland Sanders, the founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken, is shown here celebrating his 88th birthday after inventing the popular 11-spice recipe that has been a closely guarded secret since the ’40s
The customer was outraged and posted her displeasure on social media, sparking a heated discussion about the popular diner.
“It’s like salt on crack,” she wrote on Facebook.
Facebook users were divided, with some sharing their shock that MSG was the secret to KFC’s original chicken recipe, while others said it’s fine in moderation.
“I’ve read a few articles about MSG or Chinese Restaurant Syndrome. It was mainly an attack on ethnic communities by some who were just plain racist! In moderation it’s OK! Umami spice is the same,” one woman replied.
KFC says it uses MSG in accordance with Food Standards Australia New Zealand guidelines and the additive is naturally found in many foods
“I’m sure MSG was never banned and all the myths about it being bad for you have been debunked,” said another.
Others who joined the debate were concerned that the additive was a crucial ingredient in KFC chicken.
“Ugh, no wonder I always get sick afterwards,” wrote one.
Extensive studies have been conducted on MSG over the past 40 years, but no medical bodies have found convincing evidence that there are links to serious disease or death in humans.
Many people say they experience side effects from eating foods containing MSG, including headaches, sweating, heart palpitations, and nausea.
As a result, countries around the world ensure that the additive must be approved for use and clearly labeled before it can be used in products.
A man in Mahad, northern India, reportedly lost his voice and ability to swallow after eating MSG in 2017.
According to a report in the Indian Journal of Critical Care Medicine, the 23-year-old went to the hospital with speech difficulties and could not swallow his saliva.
Doctors found his mouth was swollen and blamed MSG in the Chinese fried rice he had eaten for dinner the night before.
The man complained of dizziness, sweating and itching all over his body, but recovered within a few days
KFC confirmed that it uses MSG.
“Some of our foods contain MSG, but rest assured, it’s only present in amounts that are safe for the general population,” the fried chicken chain’s website reads.
“It is a recognized flavor enhancer that also occurs naturally in foods such as meat, fish, milk, vegetables, fruit and cheese.”
Food Standards Australia New Zealand says it has been conducting research on MSG for four decades and believes it is safe.
“Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) reviewed the safety of MSG in 2003 and concluded that “there is no convincing evidence that MSG is a significant factor in causing systemic reactions leading to serious illness or death” , according to the group’s website.
“In Australia and New Zealand, no food additive – including MSG – is approved for use in food until its safety has been determined by FSANZ.
“MSG and other glutamates belong to a group of food additives that are generally allowed in food because of their safety.”
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11347407/Man-discovers-used-KFC-glove-large-chips-Kwinina-KFC-Western-Australia.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490 Man discovers used KFC glove in his large chips from Kwinina KFC in Western Australia