Halloween Toys: Cap Gun Ring Caps require Logan Bowen to be hospitalized for severe burns to his hand
Released: 1:52 am EDT, Oct. 22, 2022 | Updated: 1:56 am EDT, Oct. 22, 2022
An urgent warning has been issued after a Perth boy suffered second-degree burns when several capsules from a toy gun exploded.
Logan Dyson, 11, required hospital treatment after the incident, prompting authorities to warn parents.
Consumer Protection opened an investigation into the Halloween item and warned it could pose a danger after the boy sustained a serious hand injury.
The boy suffered second-degree burns when he opened a packet of bottle caps.
Logan Dyson (pictured), 11, required hospital treatment after suffering second-degree burns while opening a packet of ring caps
Consumer Protection opened an investigation into the Halloween item and warned it could be a hazard after the boy sustained a serious hand injury
Ring caps are used for loading into a cap gun.
A primer gun is a toy gun that makes a loud bang to simulate the sound of a gunshot and emits smoke when the small primer is ignited.
Acting chief executive for consumer protection Penny Lipscombe said the arms supplier and dealer was being questioned as part of her investigation.
She noted that the retailer had already removed the toy from its shelves.
“We need to determine very quickly whether this incident is a one-off event or whether there is something fundamentally wrong with the product or its packaging that could make it dangerous for others,” Ms Lipscombe told PerthNow.
“We will report the results of our investigation to the ACCC, the national agency that oversees product safety in Australia.
“There are risks associated with many other Halloween products that consumers need to be aware of before October 31.”
Ring caps are used for loading into a cap gun. A primer gun is a toy gun that makes a loud bang to simulate the sound of a gunshot and emits smoke when the small primer is ignited
Ms Lipscombe also warned parents about small button batteries, which are often found in Halloween decorations, saying they can cause fatal injuries if swallowed by children.
On average, one child is seriously injured in Australia every month by swallowing or inserting a button battery, with some being injured for life or even death.
“That’s why it’s so important that when you buy button battery operated Halloween novelties, you make sure the battery compartment is secured with a screw or similar fastener to prevent little ones gaining access, and that they’re sturdy enough to withstand.” to withstand rough treatment by little tricks or tricks—handlers,” she said.
Ahead of Halloween, Ms Lipscombe said it was important to ensure costumes did not contain a choking hazard and were clearly visible outdoors at night.